Sunday, December 14, 2008

Goals – Gotta Have Them

Here we are with two weeks left in 2008. Between the eggnog and cookies it is time to ask yourself what will be on your plate for 2009.

Have you set any goals? Have you signed up for any races? Have you outlined a training program? I encourage you to start planning early. Many of the popular Triathlons, Ultras and Marathons fill up six or more months in advance.

Try something new.

In business jargon we sometimes talk about setting stretch goals. Don't underestimate the value of lofty goals. We all know of the stories of a person that started out in the mailroom and became president of a company. Most likely, this person was not much smarter than his cohorts in the mailroom. The difference was that they had goals and made a commitment to improvement.

If you keep doing the same thing, you will always be the same person. Challenge yourself, find a race that you would like to do that is a bit beyond your current abilities and commit to training for it. What is the worst that can happen? A DNF? To me a DNF is far more a sign of success than a Did Not Start.

By selecting a challenging event we have set a goal to work towards. It helps organize your training and wellness activities.

Do good deeds.

If you are in a club like the NCR Trail Snails you should find out what races other are doing. While, I like to do races some of my fondest memories have been on a in the middle of the night on a dark lonely trial, waiting for my runner to come into an aid station. There is a special and often silent bond between a runner and crew that leaves them both better for the experience. Don't underestimate the value of to crewing, pacing and volunteering to help others achieve their goals.

So what?

So, what are my goals for 2009? Well my racing plans are posted for the world to see. But, my goals are a bit more personal, I want to have the opportunity to meet new training partners, establish new friendships, travel to new places and celebrate myself and my achievements.

I hope everyone has a healthy and safe 2009. See you on the on the trail!


No comments: