Friday, October 24, 2008

Pre Marathon Preparation

I am packing for my annual pilgrimage to Washington DC and the Marine Corp Marathon. This has become a Snail tradition that we spend the weekend in Arlington, Va. We get in town around noon on Saturday and go to the packet pickup and expo. Afterwards, we go back to the Hotel and crash until dinner. On Sunday we will get up and walk about a mile or so to the start of the race. After the race we gather in one of the rooms and have a bit to eat and a few stiff drinks. In the evening we have a tradition to go out to dinner and them early to bed. Most of us will go directly to work on Monday morning.

My plan for the race is to finish. This will be my first official marathon since my knee injury so, slow and steady is going to be the order of the day. I don't care how long it takes as long as I finish without injury.

On the Triathlon front, I picked up the Kestrel from the bike shop. The bike looks good and should serve me well for the 2009 season. I am considering buying a reasonable priced Hybrid to ride for training purposes.

I have not had much success hiring a Tri Coach. Mostly, it is my fault that I don't want to give up my ultra running to become a Triathlete. I know the coaches are right… but psychologically I can't give up the friendships I have made due to running. I have hired a swim coach to work with me once a week in preparation for my rebirth as a Triathlete.

Speaking of Ultras… I got a nice note from Joyce the RD for Running with an Angel. She is a super caring RD and I encourage everyone to participate in one of her events. http://calicoracing.squarespace.com/. BTW – Rooms in Vegas are getting real cheap! Try Hooters – Cheap, Clean, Fun place to stay only steps from the strip.

No comments: