Saturday, March 29, 2008

7 days until Umstead 100 Miler

In 168 hours, I will be on my 5th loop at Umstead with my faithful pacer as my guide. A little over 12 more to go hours and I will be thanking my pacer, crew and race volunteers as I collecting my finisher’s belt buckle.





I will be feeling good and as light as a feather. My feet will be blister free and my toenails will be clear and pink. My stomach will be calm and full. I will be looking forward to my next bottle of Perpetuem.


Obviously, tapering has made me delirious!


I am as ready as I can be. I spent last night packing my drop bag full of nutrition product, meds, three pairs of shoes, a few changes of clothing, headlamps and every type of tape known to ultra running (duct tape included)! The only thing that is missing is a small caliber handgun so my crew can put me out of my misery. Of course I have packed a bottle of good Scotch to celebrate my victory or at least drown my sorrows if I fail to finish.


I must have 50 pounds of crap for my poor crew to handle. Thankfully, they are able to set up a base camp and tend to me every 12.5 miles. The one thing I have come to appreciate most in my preparation for this race is the commitment of my friends to do whatever they can to help me meet this goal. I must have done something right in a past life to deserve friends like this. They live the snail motto – We are behind you all the way!


In appreciation for all their support, I ordered some shirts for my crew and fellow Snails who will be running Umstead. The folks at Customink www.customink.com did a real nice job and their customer service was superb.

If any readers see us at the race, please say hi.








No comments: