Sunday, February 1, 2009

Getting Ready for Rocky Raccoon

Yesterday, I ran a short 8 miler at Lock Raven with the Snails. While it was cold, it appeared as if every runner in Baltimore decided to run in the same place at the same time. Parking at our usual location was at a premium and I had to park at a remote location and catch up with the group. Among the runners at the lake were 2 or 3 "marathon training groups". While I encourage people to take up running, I always wonder why they would pay a local running store or gym for something they could get for free by joining the Snails or Road Runners. I am confident that the advice they would receive from these seasoned runners would be far superior to what they are paying to get from the gym of running store. Maybe there is a social need served by these groups that I don't understand.

January seemed to have zoomed buy. Now there are only 3 months to Umstead and 7 to IM Louisville. While training is going well, I need to kick up the intensity a bit. This is going to be challenging with my plans to do 2 ultras in February. There just does not seem to be enough hours in the day to get all the work done. I got to develop a training schedule and start using my time more wisely. Swimming needs to become more prevalent and I need to get some long bike rides on the agenda.

Speaking of biking… I really F---ed up the new Kestrel. The bike shop has had a hell of a time undoing what I did. Somehow I screwed up the shifters to a point that they will need to be replaced. Lesson learned – don't play mechanic!

Next weekend is the Rocky Raccoon 50 Miler. This should be a fun day of running through the wooded mine field of roots and ruts. I am somewhat acquainted with the course from crewing last year http://runsnailrun.blogspot.com/2008/02/crew-report-from-2008-rocky-raccoon-100.html . My goal is to finish in less than 11:30 and no more than three face plants! Whatever happens, I am looking forward to just being in the warm weather.

I hate winter --- God, please don't let that Groundhog see his shadow!

1 comment:

Derek said...

I just found your blog and wanted to wish you luck in the race this weekend. I'll be out there running my 1st 50 miler.

Derek