Friday, January 16, 2009

What’s Up

I have been a bit remiss in my posting. This is mostly due to my readjustment to being a working stiff after a long Vegas vacation.

I started back with my workout routine. I am working with the Personal Trainer twice a week and the Swim Coach once per week. The PT is working mostly on posture and flexibility while the Swim Coach is focused on building endurance over the next two months. The MAC had an informational meeting for their Triathlon training group. I really hope that they are able to get this going for the 2009 season since I need all the help I can get.

As predicted the gym is overcrowded with the New Year's resolution crowd. There is a comical collection of newbies:

  • The obese twenty something's in the front row of the spin class who ask the instructor to slow down
  • The 40 something men that dress like Olivia Newton John in the 80's Let get physical video. Headbands and wrist bands are not needed to walk on a treadmill.
  • The creepy "lounge lizards" that hangs out in the stretching area and stare
  • The I prefer cologne vs showering guy that grabs the treadmill next to me
  • The "we are in love" middle age couples that need to be close to each other – I actually had someone ask me to move to another treadmill so they could be next to their spouse!
  • An my favorite - those who sit on the equipment and talk

What abyss did all these people come from? Did a Krispy Kreem or all you can eat buffet go out of business?     

My running is going well. I signed up for another ultra the Iron Horse 100K. This looks like a low key event that will be a good follow up to the Rocky Raccoon 50. Both of these races will give me a better feel if I should go for the 100 at Umstead or back off to 50.

Swimming is going very well. I am swimming 30 minutes nonstop 4 times a week. I am planning to increase this to 40 minutes next week.

I am doing a lot of spinning but not too much outdoor biking. This needs to change soon. I just ordered a new Kestrel Talon. So once it is received I will need to get some serious road miles in.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Ha, I love your characterization of the gym personalities! I haven't been to the gym often enough lately to see if mine is the same way, but I've seen some of those in the past :)