Thursday, October 30, 2008

Snail on Land … Lemming in the Water

I had my first swim coaching session this evening and let's say it was a bit of a rude awaking. It has been nearly 20 years and a similar number of pounds since I have gotten anywhere near a pool and believe me it showed. I flailed about in the pool under the watchful eye of my Instructor. There is a lot of work to be done to prepare me for triathlon season.

The scary thing is that for nearly 10 years, I made my living working as a pool manager, lifeguard and swim instructor. I had qualified on multiple occasions as an ocean lifeguard and have made scores of open water rescues. I guess the old saying is true – Use it or lose it. Starting Monday, I will add at least an hour a day in the pool to my morning workouts. This should be easier if I trick my body into thinking that day light savings time didn't end and just keep my wake up time an hour earlier.

Who knows what the bike training will have in store for me.




No comments: