Monday, October 27, 2008

Marine Corp Marathon Race Report

Yesterday was my longest run since the knee surgery.  I completed the MCM in 5:12.  Not my best marathon performance but being only a few weeks out of recovery and having not ran over 14 miles in 6 months, I will claim this as a victory!

Physically, I held up well.  There was very little discomfort in the surgery knee.  My good knee felt the strain much more that the one that was operated on.  I did not push the pace so while tired, I still had a lot left in the tank at the end.    I plan to use the upcoming Harrisburg and NCR Trail marathons as training runs for the Angel 50 miler.  What I need now is slow and steady running – Time on my feet is more important right now than speed.

The MCM was, as always, an excellently managed event.  You know it will be quality when the USMC puts their name to it.  The course, water stations, and crowd support were excellent. 

The only downside to this event was the number of race participants.  There were just too many people.  I may be a marathon snob but there were a heck of a lot of people out there that don't have the etiquette to run in public. 

  • Galloway groups and Team in Training that stop dead in the middle of the course because it is time to walk
  • IPod wearing zombies that are oblivious to the world around them
  • Runners that stop dead in front of other runners to hug their supporters
  • Crowds that come to a complete stop at the first water table
  • Photo takers – here is a news break Washington DC has been there for over 200 years – anything you want to photograph will be there after the race
  • The greatest hazard of all – Cell phone user.  Who the hell do you need to talk to in the middle of a marathon? 


 

Hopefully these are the antics of one and done marathoners.  Go home – Impress your friends by wearing your medal to work for the next week. Now it is time to look for another thing to cross off your lifetime to do list.  Leave Marathon running for the Marathoners.


 


 

  
 

1 comment:

Laura said...

Congratulations! I'm really glad your surgery knee didn't give you much trouble.