Sunday, October 19, 2008

Elvis loves the “Girls”





Today, I ran the Baltimore Korman Race for the Cure or to be more correct my alter ego "Elvis Snail" ran the course, posed for pictures and cheered on runners through the 5K. I usually don't do any race where it takes longer to drive to the event, that run it, but this is one race that I make an exception to the rule. There are a few reasons for this exception.



First there is the political; My Company fields a team for the race. Being marked as a runner in the health and safety department automatically makes me a prospect for the team. It would be career suicide to say something along the lines "I can't attend because I need to do a (real) run". Instead, I got to the race early and did 2 laps of the course prior to the start.



Secondly, while almost every race supports a charity, the Korman race is special. I gain a lot of appreciation for life when I see the passion of the participants. The survivors are motivational with their strength. The families of those that have been victimized by this dreaded disease carry on their battle by wearing "In memory" of bibs. The sadness of these participants is counteracted by the joy in the faces of the young high school and college girls that team together to do their small part in fighting for a cure. Of course us guys know our palace and are there to support the girls. No pun intended but I will take credit for it anyway.



Lastly, I have to admit that some, many, most of my fondest memories have involved breast. We got to team together to "Save the Girls".

No comments: