Sunday, October 5, 2008

Shape up the Nation

My company is participation in a wellness program called "Shape up the Nation". Teams or individuals compete in three categories

  • Hours of Working Out
  • Steps Walked
  • Pounds Lost

I am entered in the hours of working out category. On Thursday they posted the results from the first two weeks and shockingly, I am in first place for both the Team and individual hours of working out with 50 hours in 2 weeks. Actually I logged 66 hours but the system only allows for a maximum of 25 hours a week. I don't see where 4 hours a day is a record setting level of training but I guess that there are not too many normal people involved in wellness activities. I received a few nasty grams from others in the company wondering how I could possibly log that many hours. I simply invited them to meet me at 3 am every morning for a little pre work run. Enough said!

Training is going well, I still get a few twinges in the knee but I and ready for pacing the second half of the Baltimore Marathon next Saturday.

I lost my EBay bid on a Tri bike, so I decided to stick with the Kestrel 4000. Today, I took it to a bike shop to get it tuned up and have some of the components modernized with new bars, fork, head set and cables. I am going to keep the drop tube shifters instead of having them bar mounted. Even thought this is a 20 year old bike it is still more than I will need.

Things at work are calming down. I think management is doing their best to keep everybody informed and focused on their jobs. I am fairly hopeful that I will survive the changes.

The tooth is still giving me problems. It is a nagging pain but I am afraid that it will flare up at an inopportune time. I think it is time to give up and go with the root canal.

Speaking of nagging pains … I have quit Toastmasters. I just don't want to play their anal retentive games any more.


 

1 comment:

Laura said...

Cool contest! I wish my work had that.