Thursday, September 4, 2008

Ummie’s Lure

Online registration is already full. You can mail a registration in to see if you can get on the wait list

Could there be that many masochists eager to register for a 100 mile trek in the North Carolina woods that this race filled up in less than a day?

Come to think of it, do I really want to be out in the middle of the night on a dark trail with 200 other sick minded individuals?

All joking aside, it is not surprising that the Umstead 100 filled in less than 24 hours. It is a first class event. The Race Director and volunteers are the best. The aid stations are endless smorgasbords for the runners.

Here is an excerpt from my April 8, 2008 blog entry –

"Umstead is a great course, the aid stations and volunteers are superior. I don't know what is in the North Carolina water but it brings out the best in people. After I crashed, I fell asleep on a bench in the HQ building only to be awakened by an apologizing volunteer, a true angle of mercy as she lifted my head to place a pillow. She had already covered me with a blanket."

Is there any question why I am drawn by Ummie's call?

No comments: