Saturday, July 26, 2008

Al la Carte Surgery


T

oday I spent the morning preparing for my surgery. While I am sure that I have a good Surgeon, I have to say that the medical system leaves a lot to be desired in the customer service realm. Ok, we know that you are stressed but here is a bunch of crap for you to do.


First you need to get a physical – or better said a medical history and have your heart listened to and blood pressure checked. That will require an appointment with your doctor. Now, I thought that the surgeon had been to medical school somehow you would think that he or one of his staff could do this pre op work. The AMA must be one strong union! Compounding this illogic practice is the fact that my “personal MD” has decided that he needs more money. He is now demanding a $ 75 a year "office fee" just for the privilege of being one of his patients. I can’t deal with this pay me for doing nothing attitude so I refused to give in to the demand and had my testing done a hospital clinic.


You need to buy crutches and ice bag and bring them to the surgery center. OK, crutches are understandable but when you are spending $ 1000’s for about an hour’s work you would think they could afford an ice pack.

Now the real bummer…. You will need to have your pain medicine for the recovery room. Fifty pills cost $ 15 at your local pharmacy …would it break the budget to just give them to the patient on the day of surgery?


Can you tell that stress is setting in?

1 comment:

Laura said...

Wow, all the nickel and diming is a bit ridiculous! Hope the surgery goes well though.