Saturday, November 15, 2008

Sticker Shock -- Bill from the Physical Therapist

I received my first bill from the PT today. My portion of the cost runs about $15 per visit; a fee I think is fair. But looking at what they charge the insurance company is disgusting. None of my visits lasted more than a half hour and with the exception of the initial assessment they were mostly done on my own while the PT attended to other patients. I was fine with this since I am a bit of a gym rat and did not really need a full time overseer. A breakdown of a typical visits bill is presented below:

  • Therapeutic Exercise - $ 45
  • Neuromuscular re-ed $ 45
  • Functional Activity $ 45
  • Manual Therapy $ 45

Total for a visit - $180!!! What a racket – no wonder companies are being challenged to provide medical coverage when cost like these are standard.

$ 360 an hour for a massage of the knee and an ice pack! What a way to prove that the health care industry needs reform!

1 comment:

Arthur Veilleux, PT, DPT said...

As a Physical Therapist I share your disgust and apologize on the part of our profession. There is a stupid game going on in the broken world of health care. You can just about be certain that the insurance company didn't pay your PT $180 for your treatment. It was probably lass than half that. But I understand your point. I am trying to combat this problem in my local area by having a cash only practice. Check my website HelloPT.net and let me know if you would have preferred the options I am suggesting.

Good luck with the knee.

Art