Sunday, November 9, 2008

Harrisburg Marathon Race Report

This Race Rocks!!! Five Stars in every aspect … I will be back for as long as I am able to run!

Always last in a race report is the thanking of the volunteers – Well at Harrisburg they deserve to be first. The volunteers were the best. I would put them in the same caliber as Umstead. This is a very high standard to meet in my book. The course was a series of loops from City Island to the east side of Harrisburg. Nice scenic course but the winds were brutal for the sections along the Susquehanna. The course was very flat with the exception of some challenging hills in the 18-20 mile areas. I like hills but it is just cruel to hide them in the back side of the course.

The only complaint I have is that the mile 16 aid station ran out of cups … so there was no water for Jim at this stop. A minor problem that I am sure will be corrected next year.

I ran the course in my heavy trail shoes to provide extra support for my knees. Overall I feel very good with only one small blister cause by a foot taping error. As for the finish, I completed the course in 4:44 and change. I am happy with this performance because I was there to get some hours on my feet in preparation for the Angle.

Next stop – The NCR Marathon

P.S. Does the fact that I am writing this while watching the Ironman Coeur d'Alene on TV indicate that I have a mental disorder when it comes to endurance events? I need help—Send Scotch!!

No comments: