Tuesday, April 8, 2008






I failed!


UMMIE kicked my ass once again. I crashed and burned around mile 70.

Yes, the weather was horrible.

Yes, I was suffering from stomach problems culminating in bodily functions with military adjectives.

Yes, was feeling like crap, everything hurt … But in a word I fail.


I had the best crew available; a committed friend as a coach and pacer, the only thing I lacked was the will to get it done. I am sorry that I fail them.


Umstead is a great course, the aid stations and volunteers are superior. I don’t know what is in the North Carolina water but it brings out the best in people. After I crashed, I fell asleep on a bench in the HQ building only to be awaken by an apologizing volunteer, a true angle of mercy as she lifted my head to pace a pillow. She had already covered me with a blanket.


To anyone considering a 100 miler I strongly suggest doing Umstead. I don’t think that I will be back as a runner next year. I will however, be back as a pacer for a Snail or as a race volunteer. I need to pay back some of the good karma that I received.



No comments: